Anchor Text refers to the clickable words used to link to another website. User can click on the anchor text in order to get to the linked website.
Search Engines such as Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, etc. uses anchort texts to understand what your page is about and which keywords are relevant to your site and for which keyword should it rank.
Anchor Texts are being used for both your internal linking and external links.
- Brand links: When you mention a brand name, add an anchor text, like this – ernestsembutnieks
- Article title: If you mention an article you have written in other articles, link to it, like this – how to start a blog
- Abbreviation: If you use an abbreviation for the first time, link to an explanation page. e.g – CTA
- Source: You can link to your source. So people know where you got your information.
- Generic links: I would try to avoid these “Click here”, “Read more” Tell the users what the site is about and you will also help search engines and your own rankings.